segunda-feira, 14 de dezembro de 2009

One-question interview on Online Teaching Techniques

Morten Flate Paulsen

Dear Mónica,

Since I came up with this challenge, I expected, and deserved, to get a one-question-interview from the class :-)

First of all, I definitively don't think that there is a perfect teaching technique. I belive in using several techniques to make courses more varied and interesting. The techniques should be chosen according to target group, subject and task. You can for example seldom use the same many-to-many techniques in a self-paced course as you do in a group-paced course. Therefore, I wanted to develop a toolbox of useful teaching techniques when I started to gather information about online teaching techniques. A toolbox that could help teachers and course designers to develop better online courses.

I am however especially fond of many-to-many techniques for two reasons. Firstly, they often generate a lot of cooperative work which I like so much, and secondly, they can reduse the teacher workload to a resonable level. The many-to-many tecniques used in this course have also shown in an excellent way that the word "many" does not only mean the students in class, but also a large extended group of people "out there" that are interested in our work and provide input to our learning experience.

My framework of techniques is by no means exhaustive, and I would be delighted if someone expanded it - especially with reagard to the new opportunities provided by web 2.0 applications. There should be many interesting many-to-many techniques that could be develop around these services. I do think, the social bookmarking service and the face-book group you have developed in this course are examples of innovative teaching techniques.

Finally, I would like to point out that in PPEL2009, I've had the role as both course designer and teacher. At NKI, we distinguish between these two roles. The course is designed by a project group, and when the course is completely developed, we engage a tutor to teach the course.

I hope that you find my answer useful and that you have enjoyed the one-question-interview experience.

You are welcome to share my answer in your class and use it in your blog.

All the best from Morten Flate Paulsen

Sem comentários: